Sunday, February 7, 2016

The Sabbath A Delight

The Sabbath is a Delight. That is the title of Elder Nelson's April 2015 Conference talk. He says, "I am intrigued by the words of Isaiah, who called the Sabbath “a delight.” Yet I wonder, is the Sabbath really a delight for you and for me?"

I know when my kids were younger the Sabbath seemed to drag on. I wasn't focusing on the enjoyment brought about by resting from our labors and attending my church meetings. I've always wanted my kids to feel like the Sabbath is special and different from the rest of the week. Now that they are teens and tweens they are starting to see the "delight" of the Sabbath. We attend our meetings and partake of the sacrament, listen to beautiful music, rest, write in our journals, watch home movies, play games, and enjoy being together as a family.

Elder Nelson doesn't give a list of do's and don'ts on the Sabbath, but rather provides this insight, "I learned from the scriptures that my conduct and my attitude on the Sabbath constituted a sign between me and my Heavenly Father."

So here's a question...what is YOUR sign between you and Heavenly Father? Are you willing to make the Sabbath a delight and to honor this special day set aside anciently?

At our most recent tithing settlement we received this wonderful gift from our Bishopric. It includes a list of ideas of how we can keep the Sabbath day holy.

I challenge anyone reading this to make the Sabbath a delight and enjoy your day of rest that Heavenly Father gave to you.

Kristi


No comments:

Post a Comment