Saturday, January 21, 2017

HOW I USED MY EMERGENCY CAR KIT TO HELP SOMEONE IN NEED


This week I had the opportunity to help someone in need. I was on my way to the temple and passed a van that had rolled over onto the side of the road. There was a utility truck parked next to the van. I assumed it was a rescue worker finishing up with the accident, but traffic was slow and I noticed a woman holding her arm, covered in blood, with a man just standing next to her, out in the cold. I pulled over, backed up my vehicle, jumped out and opened my trunk. I grabbed a water bottle and asked the man to pour it over her arm to help get her cleaned up. He asked me if I was an EMT, to which I chuckled and said, "No. Just prepared." They had already called 911, and paramedics were on their way, so I opened my emergency backpack, pulled out my first aid kit, put on some gloves and grabbed the supplies I would need to dress her wound. She was shaking and I knew she was cold and going into shock. Who knows how long she was standing there out in the cold, bleeding?! I hurried as fast as I could to wrap her arm, wipe off the excess blood from her arms, and then led her to the front seat of my warm car where I covered her with a coat and cranked up the heat. I hopped in and tried to talk to the woman to help her calm down. After a few minutes, she stopped shaking and started thinking more clearly. Then the paramedics arrived. By the time they got to the car, she was ok.

So, what did I learn from this experience? It feels great to be prepared to help others in their time of need! If I could change anything from this experience, I would have said a quick prayer before trying to help. Asking for the Lord's help gives us clarity of thought and allows the Spirit to prompt us to know what to do. The other thing I would change is to have a few more heavy duty bandages or gauze on hand. You better believe I stopped at the store that night and purchased those bigger bandages! I was able to take care of her wound with what I had, but had it been any worse, I would have had to use the clothes on my back to stop the bleeding.

We were lucky that the accident wasn't worse and that for the most part, the outcome was positive. This experience was a good practice run for me to test whether or not I am truly prepared. I'm grateful that the Lord placed me in the right place at the right time and that I had the supplies on hand to help someone in need.

If you're still trying to decide which items to add to your kit, take a look at what's in mine:

  • First aid supplies: bandaids, heavy-duty bandages, alcohol wipes, hydrogen peroxide, first aid ointment, scissors, tweezers, medical tape, latex-free gloves, face masks & pain reliever
  • Water
  • Emergency meal bars & hard candy
  • Extra clothing: sweatshirt, socks, running shoes, gloves, bandana
  • Wool blanket
  • Plastic ziplock bags
  • Baby wipes
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Flashlight
  • Lighter & matches
  • Emergency flare
  • Jumper cables
  • Tow rope
  • Cash (small bills)
  • Phone charger
  • Emergency contact information and family photo
  • Pocket knife
  • Paracord
  • Pen & paper
  • Card game (UNO)

For more emergency car kit ideas, click HERE.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing Angalee! What a blessing for the Lord to give you an opportunity to practice your skills and teach others! You are such a great example you everyone! ❤

    ReplyDelete